Slideshow!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tsk, tsk, slacking updates













Hello all! I know, I know. I've been slacking quite a bit on the updates. Last you heard I was in Wyoming! Well, we are actually in Wisconsin now.





BIG HORN NATIONAL PARK


After leaving Big Horn we drove north to the Badlands and Devil's Tower.




Devil's Tower was very neat but again the heat was really dreadful. We did one hike around the base and then had to call it because I was afraid I was going to get heatstroke. Quick note: I have never sweated so much in my LIFE as I have on this trip thus far :-D Loving it!


On our way to the Badlands, a massive storm front began moving in and we were witness to one of the scariest sights I've ever seen. As we drove into this massive storm system the Emergency Broadcast system is blaring about severe thunderstorms, winds in excess of 60 mph, golf ball sized hail, and DEADLY lightning. As if regular lightning weren't so deadly. And as we're driving, the lightning is in fact striking down ahead of us, ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ROAD. Now, had we not been driving through the National Park of GRASSLANDS or some such ridiculous thing, we would have just stopped. But we happened to be the only metal thing of any significant height for miles around. We also had been driving for a long time, were in the middle of no where, and looking for a gas station. Our options were limited to pushing ahead. I've never been afraid of lightning or thunderstorms. I find them a beautiful natural spectacle. But I was afraid for our safety. We arrived safely and endured a night of rolicking winds and terrifying thunderclaps. That being said, we only stayed one night as it was too much for my nerves to take at that point and there was a break in the weather. It was also terribly hot with crippling humidity. Whitney managed to get a shot of the lightning.


So we continued on to South Dakota, drove by the monument....


Oh YEAH. Side note here: I was very disappointed with western South Dakota. Everywhere we went they made every attempt to gouge us for money. It costs $11 to see Mount Rushmore. $11!! And there's no discount for seniors or disabled people. There is also no alternative place to park to view the monument from a distance. All along the highway are posted signs "no stopping here, no standing here, etc etc, we're big douche bags." Basically, you're telling me, poor people are not allowed to see the monument? And don't give me this "it's for the upkeep!" nonesense. We've been to plenty of sites and other historical monuments that don't charge nearly as much! Please don't tell me you couldn't charge a flat $5 rate or something more affordable. In addition, Crazy Horse is ANOTHER $10 on top of that. Way to take advantage of national pride and the massive influx of people you get. Dicks.






Anyways, moving on. So we drove along and were bombarded by more storms. The rest of South Dakota was pretty boring EXCEPT! *fanfare* for the CORN PALACE! Yes, a palace decorated with ears of dried corn! It was actually quite nice and a fun little eccentric stop.



Yep, the rest of South Dakota was boring so we jammed through it and hit.... Minnesota!


Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment